translation


23 August 2008

Steps For Becoming a California Teacher

The economy may go through its ups and downs, but one thing will remain
Constant; the world will always need teachers. The steps are numerous to become a teacher in California; I will give you the basics in this article.

Step 1 - Know what you want to teach. The best teacher is the one who is passionate about what they teach. Don't try to fill a demand for special education if you have no desire to work with those children. You will burn out quickly if you don't like what you are teaching.

Step 2 - Get a Bachelor's degree. Any accredited academic institution will do. There are also several online degrees that are available.

Step 3 - Pass the CSET. CSET stands for California Subject Examinations for Teachers. For many passing the CSET is the hardest part of becoming a teacher. You are going to want to get study materials for this one. The test can last several hours.

Step 4 - Get a teaching credential. This will take about 12-16 months depending on the school you attend. I attended National University, which was expensive but quick. You take a class each month for about $1,000. State schools were much cheaper, but they required you to complete several more classes during my work hours. All National classes were at night.

Step 4 - Use student teaching to network for a job. One portion of the
credential process is to complete student teaching. This is a sort of intern program where you take over a teacher's workload for a semester.

This was the hardest part of the credential process. The workload was
significant and I had to pay tuition at the same time because I was still considered a National University student.

While completing my student teaching I made sure to introduce myself to everyone I could. From the campus supervisors to the principal, I made sure everyone knew who I was and felt comfortable working with me.

Networking is important when looking for a teaching job because the teaching profession is a small world, especially within school districts. My student teaching led to a summer school position that then led to more contacts and an immediate teaching position in the fall.

I've been working in as a teacher for nine years now and loving every moment of it. The process felt long, but well worth it. I enjoy my students and feel positive about my impact on my community.

Are you ready to get started? I'll show you the best Universities to get your degree, where to review for the CBEST, where to get your credential, and how to nail your interview. Come to the free one-stop shop for all your teacher training needs.

No comments:

genius khaled